Monday, May 24, 2010

Dangit.

Today I got another envelope from YFU and I was so excited to find out where I was going and who I would be staying with! But no such luck. Instead, I got a packing list which spelled out my doom. First of all, most Japanese schools don't allow facial piercings. While I know it's rude to disobey the rules and act like an obnoxious American, what would they do if I refused to take out my nose stud? I could totally overpower the Japanese. Oh wait... they have karate, aikido, and sumo wrestlers. I guess it's time to invest in a retainer for my nose piercing.
NEXT they tell me no shorts. WHAT?! Japan has hot summers! How do they expect me not to wear shorts? The only thing worse than telling me not to wear shorts is telling me that I will need to wear skirts and dresses.
And that is exactly what they did. "Loose dresses are more comfortable in the heat and more graceful if you sit on the floor...clothing such as skimpy sundresses with spaghetti straps should be avoided." Graceful?! I am as graceful as an elephant.
After systematically eliminating my entire wardrobe from the "okay to wear in Japan" list, I am left with nothing but a swimsuit to wear. But it can neither be too skimpy nor to clingy.

Wait, did I read that right?

My swimsuit cannot be clingy?! Yes, it appears that in Japan they do not wear skimpy or clingy swimsuits. Well, I beg to differ. I have seen plenty of Japanese girls wearing swimsuits that cover far less than my swimsuit does.
Maybe I'll end up in Okinawa and I'll be okay. Or maybe I can just wear a burka.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Dude - same thoughts. I think the list is sorta old. I can't believe all the problems they say they have with tank tops. Don't forget your slip and nylons lol!

Lena Ray said...

Or my non clingy swimsuit! Those don't even exist!
I'm sure we'll survive.

Post a Comment